A Military History
Governors Island served as a military base by both the British and American forces for more than two centuries. After the revolution, New York State took control of the island and it was unused for many years until the War of 1812, when troops were stationed there to provide coastal defence.
The island continued to be used for military purposes during the American Civil War and throughout the two World Wars. It became a major Coast Guard installation after the U.S. Military forces were consolidated in 1966, with a residential community of about 3,500 people.